When it comes to Passover recipes I get very creative with matzo. The matzo in place of lasagna noodles gives this dish a cheesy texture as well.
A friend gave us a case of spelt matzo many months after Passover was over. My children love eating it, and often eat it in place of challah on shabbat. My husband hasn’t taken too much of anliking to it until recently, when he decided to layer matzo with a lentil soup I made and baked it. Next was a vegan matzo brei (think matzo French toast). After many other fun matzo dishes we decided to make a lasagna, and it’s become our favorite way to eat matzo and lasagna.
Whole food plant based
- 6-8 pieces of matzo, we used Whole spelt, any type will work
- 3 cups of salt free diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 large steamed sweet potatoes, 1-sliced long ways, 1 left Whole.
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
- 1 Cup shredded zucchini
- 6 thick eggplant slices
- Italian seasoning blend, or fresh or dried garlic, onion, parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, black pepper
- 1 cup Cashews
- 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast, aka nooch
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
I’m a blender chop the cashews mixed with nutritional yeast. Set aside. Can be stored in fridge.
Blend tomato paste, diced tomatoes, one whole large sweet potato, herbs/seasoning, 1/2 cup carrot and 1/2 cup zucchini. Blend until smooth.
In a square dish put a thin layer of sauce. Top with one layer of matzo and cover with a thin layer of sauce.
Alternate every layer with a different vegetable, matzo and sauce.
Top with sauce and vegan parmesan.
Bake for 30 minutes or until it starts to dry out a little. Add more sauce if needed.
To brown the parmesan cook on broil for 2-3 minutes.
Cut and serve hot.
Can be stored in fridge or frozen in individual pieces.
- Grilled eggplant
- Roasted red peppers
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper for spice
- Fresh sliced tomatoes on top layer
- Sun dried tomatoes in sauce
- Extra firm tofu, crumbled with herbs
- Nutritional yeast, steamed potatoes and carrots blended into a sauce.
- Sliced steamed white potatoes
- Grilled zucchini
- Grilled Butternut squash
- Grilled onions
- Garlic butter (roast garlic cloves in aquafaba-chickpea water, until soft and blend).