While attending a wellness fair this weekend my family ate up lots of peanut butter energy balls from a local vendor. Today my boys asked to make some themselves, “momma style”. They are always asking to make healthier versions of foods they like. Thankfully the ones they ate had some great ingredients, we just changed it up a bit.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 Cup dried dates, soaked in 1 cup hot water for 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons installed natural almond butter or peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- 1 cup dried raisins
Optional (I put these in my recipe but you can leave them out if you like)
- 1 tablespoon peanut powder -omit if using peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of soaked elderberries, I had leftover from the syrup I made
Soak the dates in the hot water for 15 minutes.
Put all dry ingredients in a food processor and mix. Add wet and mix well.
Scoop out a spoonful at a time and roll into balls in your hand.
Place on a dish and chill in fridge for an hour. I admit at least half of mine usually don’t make it into the fridge as my family eats them as we are making them. So know they can be served warm or chilled. Chilling them will make them more firm.
Other Optional ingredients
- Lemon, lime or orange zest or juice, add extra oats to absorb the extra liquid.
- Dried fruit, if it’s large or hard pieces be sure to soak with the dates
- Ground flax seeds
- Peanut pieces or other nuts
- Hot Tea in place of the hot water, I often use chamomile and other calming herbs/teas in my recipes. I like the hint of flavor it adds
- Spices like ginger, cardamom, clove, all spice, pumpkin pie spice mix, etc. use sparingly as the flavor can be stronger when used raw
Key lime pie bites:
- Use key lime juice and zest and add creaminess by blending it with cashews. Omit the raisins
- Or use cashew butter as the nut butters
- Use black strap molasses in place of the syrup, omit the raisins and use half of the date soaking liquid.
Strawberry cheesecake bites
- Blend dried or fresh strawberries with cashews or macadamia nuts until smooth and add to mixture, omit the raisins
- Use cashew butter as the nut butter
- Flatten the balls and make a dip in the middle with your finger.
- Fill with jelly or preserve of choice.
- Sprinkle coconut flour or shredded coconut on top
- Add unsweetened carob or chocolate powder or raw cocoa nibs
Black Forest bites
- Use cherries instead of raisins
- Add carob or chocolate powder
- Flatten the ball on a piece of wax or parchment paper, into a circle
- Add filling of choice
- Fold up to make a triangle, pinching the 3 corners together, leaving space open on top.
- Dehydration will help make it more of a dry cookie and filling like a hamensatchen
- Use tahini or sesame butter as the nut butters
- Omit the raisins
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest and ginger powder (or freshly grated)
- Shredded carrot
- Lemon and orange juice and zest
- Top it with cashew butter mixed with vanilla powder and maple syrup.
Your options are endless! Enjoy